We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows mega updates

stugj

Likes # 0

just downloaded and installed the windows mega updates on my desktop pc, now its not working, on start up i usually just get the picture that is the background on my desktop and the mouse arrow, if i leave the computer on long enough then the screen saver kicks in, but thats it, sometimes i can get task manager up via ctrl, alt, delete, occasionally, the desktop comes up but only the clock on the task bar and i can't open anything, i've tried to start with - last known good menu, and used system restore but still nothing, if i open task manager there seems to be a lot fewer processes than normal (27), i can start in safe mode but other than that nothing. my computer is running xp home any ideas please

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

Can you uninstall the updates?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

In safe mode

Start - Run -type

sfc /scannow

let windows find and replace missing or corrupt system files , this may take awhile to complete.

Like this post
stugj

Likes # 0

thanks Graham, how would i do that, thanks fruit bat, tried that nothing happened?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Small gap between sfc and forward slash. Remove updates in add remove and make sure show updates is ticked.

Like this post
stugj

Likes # 0

thanks buteman, i tried both with and without the gap, nothing either time, will try and uninstall the updates

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Windows update will often create a restore point before it begins to install the updates ? it should be very easy to identify the correct date to restore to

If this fixes your issue then manually get the updates one at a time ceating a restore point before install when you find the problem update you can then choose to hide it

Cheers HC

Like this post
stugj

Likes # 0

thanks Tosh, tried system restore to prior updates, didn't work, something is blocking some of the required start up process

Like this post
stugj

Likes # 0

uninstalled the visable updates, all security, still no show

Like this post
stugj

Likes # 0

managed to run a quick scan with avast in safe mode, nothing came up, machine still dead

Like this post
stugj

Likes # 0

ran MSCONFIG, all but a few of my services are stopped and there are just a few items in the start up section, i tried to enable these but it will not let me, if i run task manager only 28 processes are running and the cpu is at 0%

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...