We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Automatic Updates

dogbreath1

Likes # 0

XP SP3.

WAU tells me that it has a critical update ready for me to install. It is KB2446704, "Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 & 3.5 SP1 on WindowsServer 2003 and Windows XP x86".

I choose the option 'Express Install' and it seems to install OK. However, even after a reboot, it crops up again wanting to be installed again.

Checking in Add/Remove Programs, it cannot be seen.

How do I exit this loop?

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

chekc out this and this

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

On checking the Windows Update site, the installation log shows that KB2446704 has been installed (green tick). However, on asking the site which updates are still missing from my PC, I am again offered the same file.

I've followed the MS troubleshooting advice re running the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (clean) and have run MalwareBytes and Emsisoft Antimalware with both being clear.

I downloaded the update and tried to install it in safe mode whilst logged in as Admin (again, as advised by MS), getting the error, "Windows installer service could not be accessed. This could occur if Windows is running in safe mode or if Windows Installer is not correctly installed."

Any more ideas, please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

This happens when some of te .net framework files have become corrupted. The procedure to repair windows update is quite tedious and described here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100. If you google your problem you will find several references but the advice given is as described in the above document

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

Sorry! Wrong link http://www.thewindowsclub.com/microsoft-pushes-update-to-deactivate-counterfeit-windows-7-copies

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

@mimosa418.

On the contrary. First link was good.

I opted to use the .NET removal tool followed by reinstalling .NET 1.1 (+SP1) and .NET 3.5.

After rebooting, WAU downloaded around nine .NET updates (including KB2446704 which was the original problem) and installed them all without a hitch.

Hopefully, I'm out of the loop for which you have my thanks!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK