We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Partition Cloning

siouxah1

Likes # 0

I am trying to source some software that will clone a partition to, and recover from, an external USB HDD.

This is for an older laptop with one HDD consisting of one partition. (No recovery partition.)

I have tried Acronis V7 and then purchased Acronis 2011 Home. This last does not support USB drives unless an Add on is installed. It appears to me that the Add on is not available for the Home edition. Any ideas? I do not wish to give Acronis any further cash at the moment.

(Yes I am aware that I did not do my nomework very well.)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

All you need do with Acronis is, Start boot with Acronis Rescue or Program CD. Choose Backup Then choose Full Image Backup Write this to the USB drive. You can use the same method to Restore the Image. This Images Partition and everything on the drive, Remember when doing a Restore that Drive letter will be a Removable drive may be A:\ Test the Image when its done, so you know it works when you need it. That's what I do

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS if you need any other info on PC's PM me on other side

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I have used various versions of TI over the years and now have TI Home Ver10.

Make sure you make a restore disc immediately after installing TI. You may never need it but it is your belt and braces in an emergency.

I agree with Woodchip. You backup to a folder on your USB drive giving the file a memorable name, I also include the date of the backup in the file name, with .tib as the file extension

To restore the backup, if windows is bootable you can use the installed program, if not enter the bios and make sure your DVD drive is your first boot device, I always make mine on a new PC it, boot up time is a few seconds longer but it is one less thing to worry about in an emergency.

This loads a DOS version of TI on your PC and you can then search for your backup on your external drive, then follow the prompts.

Like this post
siouxah1

Likes # 0

Thanks Peoples.

The problem I have is that both versions of TI will not recognise an external USB drive. An add on is, I believe, required for the latest version I have to do so.

Any suggestions on this problem?

st-clares. Do you have the same problem as I in the DOS incarnation in that the mouse does not seem to be supported?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It will Recognise it if you turn on USB in BIOS, And plug drive in then boot with TI CD. Set BIOS to first boot device DVD or CD

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

See here for guide to equivalents link text

I use Macrium or EASEUS, sometimes Paragon.

Always verify/validate/check image after creation. Keep more than one image if you have space. Corruption isn't unknown.

All allow creation of a boot CD (essential)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As I said do not forget that when it boots the Drive will be under a different letter to windows

Like this post
siouxah1

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies. I will report back.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I forgot to say have the drive plugged in before booting. Also my wireless mouse will not work but my USB mouse works OK. USB in my Bios is enabled. Macrium. Easeus snd Paragon are all good.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Some Wireless Will work but not all, so you have a point

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded