We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 7 pc cannot find router

howard64

Likes # 0

My main pc has suddenly started to be unable to find the router which it is connected to by ethernet [cable had been changed for known good ones] it is listed as unidentified network no contact. My other pc connected to the same router has no problem. I have reset the ip address and occasionaly I can get it to connect but the next reboot kills it again. Does anyone have any idea as to what has gone wrong and how to fix it?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Don't know. Recent Windows update screwed it up?

Can you restore to before the updates or when the problem started?

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

did not fix it

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Delete the connection reboot for it to re-enable find it

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS in Networking set everything to Auto like DNS etc

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

have done all that but still the same

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

reinstalled w7 but made no difference. Now fully formatting hard drive and will install w7 again and see what happens.

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

did you try changing the cable back, maybe one of the copper strands had broken.

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

still no joy tried different cables and new installation of w7 I am begining to think that the built in ethernet port has failed. I will install a network card and see what happens.

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

great now working ok with network card

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'