We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Black screen on notebook

VCR97
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm having a problem with an Evesham Voyager notebook. The screen is black at switch-on but I can just see correct images in the gloom. If I can find the cursor I can click on desktop icons and I can see that things happen. Power off/on doesn't alter anything. So it seems that it is only the screen which is kaput. Any ideas as to what has happened and how I can fix it? I can't see any obvious entry to the screen assembly.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I know little about laptops but sounds like the back light has gone. If you have another Monitor handy hook it up to that and it should work Ok using that. No doubt someone will give you some proper advice soon.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

As buteman says. You will need to toggle the output from screen to monitor using Fn and one of the F keys. Probably difficult to get spares for an Evesham, unless it uses a generic light - difficult to tell.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

Thanks, but I don't have a monitor available. I'll have to wait until I discover how to get into the screen assy.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Most likely the tube or the inverter. But it could be the motherboard or power circuit.

If you feel like digging, you could go in and check connections and that power is getting to inverter. But since the output is high voltage don't mess too much if in doubt.

Then it is a question of deciding what is at fault That's the tricky part if you don't have spares.

link text

link text

See what you think, whether you want to try yourself or put in for repair.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

robinofloxley

Thanks for the links. I'll wade through them tomorrow. If I can find the cunningly concealed access to the screen assy I'll be OK.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback