We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pavilion Slimline - 15 sec beeeeep on boot

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Model s3541.uk - on pressing the power button, beep sounds for 15 secs - nothing appears on screen. After 10 secs quiet, beep repeats. Everything secure/reseated. Can I assume it's the mobo. If so, how do I find a correct replacement. Thanks

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you tried booting up in safe mode. or maybe make sure none of the keys on the keyboard are stuck down.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, I don't think one can assume anything in particular - but I would suspect faulty RAM.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Further to my above comment - I would remove all RAM, then try each RAM stick in turn, if you have more than one stick could be just one of them causing the problem.

If it was a stuck down key, the sound would probably be continuous.

A replacement mobo would be a difficulty, I think hard to find, so much smaller than most - and consequently more expensive than a 'normal' size mobo.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Another thought - the problem could be Overheating - being a small case makes this a possibility, especially if the inside has not been de-gunked in a while. Clean out all dust etc, especially around any fans and vents.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks. Did clean the dust out yesterday (wasn't too bad). Have tried without RAM - same result. Different keyboard to the one normally used. Can't access anything - beep starts immediately the power button is pressed. Have found a source for the mobo (if it proves to be that) fromlink text

1: http://www.chilternitparts.com/productDetail?partnumber=489568-001 - don't know anything about them, but seem to have been around for a while.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yes, mobo perhaps ...... but a second opinion from a local PC repair shop might be a good idea.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Most likely is a Ram problem, PC will not start without at least one stick in place. So try one strip at a time and make sure that its fully pushed in. Its a none standard beep code you are getting

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Check this out, I cannot use the link as the page will not finish loading so you will need to copy paste the link to a blank page Address Bar

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/HP-Pavilion-a6300f-Beep-Codes-upon-pressing-Power-button-Help-me/td-p/243077

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks woodchip. That website pretty much ties in with my problem. Don't think it's PSU, as fans run etc. Tried spare (good)RAM. Same result. Different beeps with no RAM (same as the link).

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As to the last post in the Link I gave, you will not get nothing without CPU as that makes everything work. So you will not get no beeps. But you could try some heat paste under the CPU after cleaning the old off it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...