We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

laptop advice

jtw57

Likes # 0

intend on buying my first laptop, not much money so they will be refurbished.

would like advice on which one from IBM thinkpad T42=== IBM X40=== HP NC6000

any advice would be much appreciated

thanks

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

It would help us to help you if you explained what the laptop will be used for

Like this post
jtw57

Likes # 0

basic stuff, email, web search,

thanks

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If you can get your hands on a good ThinkPad T42 you'll have a very nice little machine. ThinkPads are renowned for their build quality.

You'll find the hard drive capacity a little limiting by current standards, and unless the RAM has been upgraded you'll need to reserve some budget for doing it - the machine only had 512Mb as standard.

The HP NC6000 was a great laptop when it was first launched, but you should look at the installed RAM - 512Mb as standard isn't enough.

Of the three, and all things being equal my personal choice would be the Lenovo X40. It was a superb machine in its day - I had one myself- and one in good condition is worth snapping up.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

How about MSI Wind U135 Windows XP 7Hour Netbook link text

I bought one for her indoors a few month ago, its really quite impressive if you can live with the smaller (10 inch) screen.

Like this post
jtw57

Likes # 0

many thanks for the advice have decided on the Lenovo x40, was tempted by the msi wind u135 but the x40 will do for now as my first laptop. once again many thanks

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i was in tesco this week someone in front bought a compaq laptop for just £199 no idea of the spec or modle just amazed how cheap it was

Like this post
gpoau

Likes # 0

Surely it would be more pracital to buy a brand new one with proper warranties as the prices are getting really low. Group Purchase Online

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more