We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Webpages loading VERY slowly

Sirpad

Likes # 0

I have started experiencing a sudden sharp decline in my laptop's performance. When I open any webpage it takes a few seconds then hangs there for up to 20 seconds before I can scroll down or select anything. Any subsequent linking to other pages create the same delay. The green bar at bottom of screen always seems to be slowwwwly filling up.

When I open a new tab or new page my CPU usage goes close to 100% before it calms down - my Physical Memory seems to hover around 45% all the time. However, I have no problem getting my emails via Outlook.

Here are my laptop specs... Dell Inspiron (no laughing please) Pentium Dual-Core t4300 @2.10 GHz 4GB Memory - 64-bit Avira anti-virus - I run CCleaner, Spywareblaster daily - I ran a defrag enquiry and the report said I did not need one.

Help!!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe try updating and running the free version of malwarebytes to see if it finds any problems.

link text

Also one to try is Command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns and press enter in the keyboard. it should tell you dns cache has been flushed if so reboot and see if it makes any difference.

Like this post
Sirpad

Likes # 0

Thanks Buteman. Just tried the ipconfig /flushdns and it did tell me cache had been flushed but problem still there after I re-booted. Funny you mention Malwarebytes. I downloaded this the other day and ran the quick scan and got the all clear. However, when I ran the Full Scan it plugged along and at some stage not only did it cease to scan but completely froze my laptop. After re-booting I tried again but same thing.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try This.

1. Turn off computer ,then turn on and start tapping F8
  2. When the Advanced startup options appear Select Safe mode With Networking
  3. Open internet explorer goto google.com ,download Hitman pro "32-bit or 64-bit depending on your Os"
  4. Run Hitman pro ,let this scan the computer
  5. Activate Free Licence
  6. Reboot Pc

I would delete malwarebytes now as it may well be infected and try Hitmanpro instead.

Like this post
Sirpad

Likes # 0

Thanks again. Hitman found a tracking cookie (which are usually harmless) and also found SHSETUP.EXE to be a threat although there are different opinions on this. I also found that I had a DivX plugin which can also carry malware so I got rid of that (this I am assuming came from my daughter who wanted to catch up on missed 'Glee' episodes). End result - things have picked up considerably. I would say to people to watch out for those DivX (or any other) plugins - especially when they end up in your startup configuration.

Thanks for your time Buteman.......

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You do not have a Problem its the PCA Web Site, as its doing it on my HP Laptop. Pages are not fully loading so I am posting links and telling them to copy past the link into there browser address bar, when I post links

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

woodchip when you open the link to post on it has already got http// on it remove that first then paste your copy in it and it should work Ok.

Sirpad.

Not sure if you deleted SHSETUP.EXE or not but if you still get problems I would think of removing it. Like you said different reviews about it mostly not great.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...