We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Webmania

mco

Likes # 0

Does anyone know what's happened to Webmania? I have been with them for 6 years, recommended by people on this forum and have been very happy -indeed, recommended them to others too, I recently renewed a domain name, had the receipt only to find it is not showing - no response to support email; no live help and no answer to phone call- I googled them and found a long list of concerned customers with similar complaints over the last couple of months. Have they gone out of business? How do I get back a domain name that I myself own (according to whois) so I can redirect it to another site with another hosting company?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I regret that I have had nothing but trouble with Webmania over the last 6 months or more. I also renewed a domain name with them but they did not renew it with Nominet. I e-mailed with no response, I spoke when I could get through which was once and there are long waits and it was costing me. I wrote with no reply. The amount taken without any action was small and I have written it off.

I tried to get a tag from Webmania to try to get the domain transferred without any luck at all. Had to set up a new domain name with 1&1.

I cannot recommend Webmania at all and would go so far as state avoid.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Like this post
mco

Likes # 0

It was this review thread that alerted me to the problem http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews115066.html -I came across it while waiting half an hour on the phone to them. I have given up basically - I am going to get new domains and move over my sites to another host- I read on that review site that you can get in touch with www.onlinenic.com (the company web-mania use for domain registration) and reclaim your names back - I am going to do that.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

mco

Your April 15 post has been edited to remove a defamatory allegation.

Like this post
Rheaan

Likes # 0

I have no idea what "derogatory comment" was removed, but it was probably justified. FYI - Web Mania Limited was officially liquidated by creditors at a meeting called under the Insolvency Act on May 4th 2011.

Oddly enough Nathan Barnes (formerly of Web Mania) registered a new domain called yorhost.net on 3rd May (updated that registration on 4th May) and the web-mania.com website now says "Copyright 2011 www.yorhost.net".

Looks like they are trying to re-launch by re-branding.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It's all a little confusing.

There are 'customer testimonials' on the Yorhost website which include statements claiming that the customers have used Yorhost for " a few years" and for "the last three years".

This is plainly not the case, as the business didn't exist until a week or so ago.

Like this post
Rheaan

Likes # 0

That's one of the reasons I posted about the rebranding. It's important that people are not fooled by it.

More importantly, for existing customers (those that are left) the name servers do not respond to customer domains. Oddly enough the web-mania.com website and the yorhost.net website, which are on the same name servers, do respond.

Like this post
Rheaan

Likes # 0

[quote]we will be transferring all the hardware from London to our own premises in York.[/quote]

That sounds like they're moving from a Data Centre to a room in someone's offices. If your sites are back online then I'd advise you to move hosts pronto. If you Google for "Web Mania Help" you should find links to hosts who are helping people to move away from Web Mania.

Like this post
newforestnick

Likes # 0

Web mania appears to have gone belly up. There is no live help. There are no replies to support emails. No replies on their support phone lines. They have parked my website at mellersh.net without telling me or leaving me any way of recovering my domain name except possibly via onlinenic as mentioned in another post.

I am following the onlinenic route and will keep you posted. Any information from people in a similar situation would be a help

Nick

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

newforestnick

Try contacting 'YorHost' click here for their site

It's the same business under a different name. The fact that a hosting business appears to have stopped trading without notifying its customers is a poor way to treat people, and no company has the right to park your website on another domain without informing you in advance - at least, not if you've paid for hosting. Your contract was with Web Mania.

Like this post
NICTRY

Likes # 0

More to the point Nathan Barnes aka webmania aka yorhost has taken money from customers without providing the service ie domain renewals etc (and I know as I have never received a renewal and nearly lost my domain through their incompetence) I moved all my hosting/domains from this company and would suggest anyone using either webmania or yorhost does the same asap

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015