We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tax Refund

chapeau

Likes # 0

Twice this week I have received emails headed Tax Refund Notification, purporting to come from HM Revenue and Custom and telling me to claim a refund due to me. by clicking a box. No reply address , site does not seem to exist. I have not clicked the box. I take it this is a scam of some form. Does anyone know ? If they do where can I report it ? Is it worth the bother ?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's a phishing/scam e-mail. Delete and definitely do not click on any of the links or reply to it.

TAX e-mail

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 1

Chapeau

I had a similar notification about three weeks ago. I just checked the properties and looked at what was said including the spelling mistakes and binned it PDQ. I suppose you could notify HMRC, but I doubt they will be doing anything about it. I also had one recently, from a High Street bank, that I part own, and since I do not have any accounts with them, I went to see the local branch and they weren't at all interested. Saying it is happening all the time!!

TonyV

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

Ask your self first, Did you give Tax Mane your e-Mail Address. That should answer it

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

Man not mane. Not been up long

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

a gogle of tax refund scam gives this http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

that link is not working sorry, will try again otherwise you will have to copy and paste into your browser http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm

Like this post
chapeau

Likes # 0

Thanks folks, you have confirmed mmy belief that it was a scam. I also this morning had two from a High Street bank with which I do not deal, all have been binned .

What still concerns me is how have they got on to me. Is it that over the past two or three weeks I have been using various 'Compare sites' in my search for some sensibly priced insurance. I have never felt very happy about 'Compare sites' and have avoided as much as possiblle.

Any views from out there ?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 1

Chapeau: it's entirely random. How does any spam of any kind get to you? Your email address is floating out there in hundreds of ways - it's not just (nor even likely) the comparison sites. These scammer people send the same email to, let's say, 1000 people (= random email addresses). Out of those 1,000, statistically, let's say 100 have dealings with the named financial institution. And out of those 100, it only takes 1 to fall for the scam - and the scammers are quids in. Thinking about it, I'm not sure why I still go to work when there's money to be made that easily. Oh, no, wait - it's illegal. That's why... :-)

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I wanted to test Orange Mobile PAYG SIM a while back so I applied online for one and of course had to give my real postal address and one of my email addresses. But I used a fictitious unusual name and Googled it first to check it was unique.

6 weeks later, someone had setup a Facebook account in that name but messed up a login and I got an email warning.

That application to Orange was the only time I ever used that name for any sign up or marketing.

So either Orange is selling details (most likely) and someone was using them nefariously, or an employee was doing it.

Like this post
clock

Likes # 0

Hi chapeau,

I'm in a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme and had a Police Voice Connect message 2 days ago to warn all members about this e-mail purporting to be from Inland Revenue. Delete was the advice, do not respond.

Clock

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...