We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Digital TV Changeover

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Remember to retune your TV's this morning as the second stage of the digital changeover takes place. ITV channels have now been added. I have a digital TV downstairs with the Basic Ring loop aerial that you used to get on the old portable televisions and I now get all of the BBC channels and from this morning the ITV channels including channel 5. So no need to go out and buy fancy aerials just check to see what channels that you can pick up on your old aerial. Fair enough you do not pick up all the channels but good enough for what I need.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Depends which part of the country you're in. Shropshire was last Wednesday and again next Wed.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As onthelimit1 states it depends where you live. No need to retune in my part of the country as we went completely digital ages ago.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 Ok never thought of that I was thinking it was all done at once. Never mind at least we know to retune whenever it happens. I was going to get my Son in law to erect an aerial so that my wife could watch her usual TV programs in the kitchen but we get them now without an aerial so no need to buy one now. I can see a few Aerial company's going out of business shortly when folk find that they can get good pictures without having high quality aerials erected.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Woolwell yes I must have had my blinkers on and only concentrating in my area of the country.Thanks for the input.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

buteman

I saw a lot of new aerials installed for digital changeover which I don't think were necessary. We didn't change ours and the picture is good. I hope that people weren't conned.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

We don't get digital TV until 27th September this year!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Woolwell Well I suppose there were plenty warning about having the correct aerial for Digital TV but I am sure most will be happy with the pictures they get using their old aerials. I was really surprised to be able to pick up any channels at all with just the portable wire ring loop aerial that I have. So I can see the price of aerials falling sharply soon. I live in the outer limit of the signal provider so never thought for a minute that I would get any pictures at all.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

rawprawn So your in the same area as me Yorkshire.

buteman There is no such thing as a digital TV Ariel they all do the same thing

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

woodchip There is no such thing as a digital TV Ariel] I know that and you know that so why do they still advertise them as such. I suppose as they can pick up digital TV signals they are within their rights to call them Digital aerials.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

Buteman. If you call the aerial a "Digital" one then you can stick a few quid more on the bill !!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Tips for selling on eBay: auction tactics to get the best price for second-hand products