We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Small window on laptop after XP

raysophie

Likes # 0

I am giving my Dell Inspiron 1100 to my friend, to clean computer of files etc. I reinstalled windows XP home which came with the laptop. I now have a small screen in the middle of the laptop screen and the message Display Settings Your computer's screen resolution and colour depth are currentley set to a very low level. You can get a better picture by increasing these settings. To do this click this Ballon. Box with do you want Windows to automatically correct your screen resolution and color depth settings? Press Yes Get a task bar with Start one side and time other, when I press start all sizes are too big. Went to control panel Appearance and themes change screen resolution Settings Screen Resolution 640 by 480 pixels slider will not move Color quality Medium (16bit) General. DPI settings; Normal size (96dpi) Can anyone help?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 1

If you cannot change the resolution setting from 640x480 then you almost certainly haven't reinstalled the graphics drivers after reinstalling XP. Do you have a disk with drivers for such things as graphics, audio, network adapter, modem (if fitted) etc?

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Try 'Support' on the Dell website. link text

Like this post
daytimers82

Likes # 0

or right click and go to properties and one of the tags should help make the windows resolution bigger by choosing resolution setting from 640x480

Like this post
raysophie

Likes # 0

Thanks suspect drivers are missing and have various discs which I can install, I really wanted to reformat the C: drive and start all over but could not manage that. Hey Ho all the fun of learning about computers, will let you know what happens when I load new discs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...