We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Zip Files

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Can anyone tell me the best way to turn zip files into MP3s?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

A Zip File is effectively a box within which the Contents have been compressed. You need to open it with a program, Win Zip, 7Zip, or several others. Right Click it and Windows may offer you a suitable Program, if not, you may have to download a Program to do the job.

Inside you will find a number of Files, each of which will have a name.suffix. The Suffix tells you what type of file it is and gives you an indication of the type of Program your Computer will need to open it.

Right Click it and, with any luck, Windows will have a Program installed that will open it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ok but you need to tell us which bit you are stuck on:

OS on your pc? (XP, Vista or W7)?

What program you are using to extract the .zip files (extract = unpack/uncompress the .zip file so that you then have the 'one WMA file and ten MP3 files' in an ordinary folder)

What software program you are trying to open/play them with - Windows Media Player, VLC, Media Player Classic?

The usual way is to rightclick on the .zip file and choose 'Extract All'

They will then end up in an ordinary folder. You can make a new folder of your own or just accept the one it offers.

Then you open/play them in your software program - Windows Media Player, VLC, Media Player Classic or whatever you usually use.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

This is the best and you will find easy to use, PowerDesk Free shareware version it also expands the files before unzipping them, so you can click on one file if needed like a readme file to look at it

You will need to copy past the Address under this to a blank page in your Browser Address Bar as PCA page will not finish loading to let me load as a link

http://www.tucows.com/preview/501185

it works like windows explorer window but faster

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Ok, I've tried, really tried but it's all too much for my limited computer knowledge. I downloaded a couple of the unzippers including Winzip. But then all you get is a complex box, with a blank screen in the middle and no info at all about how to go about unzipping???? I then right clicked on the zips and got the Wizard. When I clicked Next....."File skipped unknown compression method" appeared. At this stage I lost the will to live and went to the pub! Thanks all for your help and patience...I give up.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What is your operating system?

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Im clinging on to XP it answers all my limited needs.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you download and load PowerDesk, all you have to do is right click the Zip file and choose Extract

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded