We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade USB 2.0 to USB 3.0

weebil
Resolved

Likes # 0

My HP Pavilion dv6 1131ea is fitted with USB 2.0 - can I upgrade to USB 3.0 Bill Stevenson

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

You need a USB 3.0 Express Card Adapter link text

Can be purchased here link text

Like this post  
northumbria61

Likes # 1

This is the 1st Link I was trying to send you link text

Like this post
weebil

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info Bill Stevenson

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I use a PS2 mouse but can use USB 3 on this computer is there any advantage from using USB3 over PS2. I did ask on here before but never got an answer. weebil I hope you don't mind me asking the question on your thread I am sure you would be interested in the result or maybe you already know which is best.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

As far as I know, USB3 requires equipment that is specially built for USB3 to work at its designed speed.

Equipment designed to use either USB1 or USB2 will work at their Designed(old) Speed even if they are connected through a USB3 Socket, so there is no advantage to be had there.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

As far as I know, USB3 requires equipment that is specially built for USB3 to work at its designed speed.

Equipment designed to use either USB1 or USB2 will work at their Designed(old) Speed even if they are connected through a USB3 Socket, so there is no advantage to be had there.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

buteman I do not think they know what you are on about, a PS2 mouse is nothing to do with USB, its a totally different socket and system. PS2 mouse or keyboard should only be plugged in and disconnected with the Wall power plug Switched off, unless you want to fry your motherboard. USB is supposed to be so you can plug unplug while PC is running, but that as its dangers if you pull the USB plug on a drive when its active you can corrupt of damage the drive

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Basically my computer is set up to run USB 3 instead of USB 2. Just wondered what the difference was and whether to remove my PS2 mouse and install a USB 3 one instead. Like I said I have not got a clue what the difference is. Probably just best with sticking to what I use now I suppose.

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

The only difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0 is speed, naturally your mouse doesn't require high data transfer rates so there really is no point upgrading your mouse to usb (unless you want something funky :))

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Thalmus Ok thanks for the info will just stay with what I have then.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...