We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win7 PC freezes on startup

robzwolf

Likes # 0

My wonderful Medion Akoya E4120 D desktop PC crashes when it turns on. I press the power button, then it says 'MEDION', then it gets stuck at a screen with a flashing line. I can get round it by pressing F8 and the MEDION screen and choosing to boot from the hard drive, but shouldn't it do that by default? I can't think of anything that could have brought this on. The computer is about 5 or 6 months old. It's got a 3 year warranty. I'd rather fix it here and now, rather than unplug and muck up my entire computer setup and have it sent off for two weeks! Also, I'm only 13 so ... :-) don't use too technical terms please :) even though I can understand a lot of the stuff.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

but shouldn't it do that by default?

Yes it should. first check you haven't left a blank CD/DVD in the DVD drive (causes my Medion to hang on start)

also try checking the BIOS (probably by pressing del on starting)

is set to boot from DVD as first boot device and HDD as second or even set HDD as first boot device. For example Do not make any other changes in the BIOS as it may stop your machine booting at all

Remember to save and exit (F10) then see if it works

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features