We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

slow start up XP

krsna

Likes # 0

my desktop pc takes a long time to get to the desktop screen, there is a 50 second delay of black screen just before the blue welcome screen, how can I reduce this 50second delay?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Several things you can do, Try stopping things loading at boot that run in the background using MSONFIG in run box using Startup Tab limit it to basics that need to run, next right click on My Computer/Properties/Advanced/Settings Stop all fancy start and run things in Visual Effects. Try those first

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

That should have been MSCONFIG

Like this post
krsna

Likes # 0

i have tried that and but this is a delay from the black windows XP screen to the blue welcome screen the pc seems to do nothing for about 50 secs, once the desktop screen is reached then the pc takes only a few more secs to be ready

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

msconfig > BOOT.INI tab and see what the timeout=

The "timeout" variable specifies how long Windows waits before choosing the default operating system microsoft.com see also Additional information and help with the boot.ini

You can edit/change the timeout by entering a new figure in the box on the right, then click on Apply. Another way to alter the timeout is to open the Start menu, right-click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties" from the context menu. The System Properties dialog box will open as shown below. In the section "Startup and Recovery" click the button "Settings". More info

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

In BIOS set the Hard Drives to Auto Detect save and exit BIOS

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED