We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SP1 update fail

Seadog

Likes # 0

I updated my home and laptop pcs today with SP1, the laptop was all ok but the pc locked up at the start screen on the first 'new boot', restarting it and then trying to go into safe mode produced a warning that SP1 did not configure correctly and it was reversing the installation - which it is doing as I write this. I intend trying to download it and install it again but I just wanted to ask if anyone else has had or heard of other people with similar problems. Both machines are running win7 professional 64bit.

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

If anyone's interested, it appears that it was my anti-virus causing the problem, I have McAfee Total Protection. All installed after turning the real-time scanning off and re-installing the updates.

I know that the install instructions say to switch off the AV (as do a lot of programs) but I am not too happy about that especially when downloading the program from the net so always leave it on!

What I don't understand is that the installation on my laptop went ok and that is running the exact same OS and AV.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I had same on 6 yr old desktop, but newish laptop was fine. Even with AV off.

An error message suggested System Update Readiness Tool http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821 and it worked after running that.

But others have reported success on 2nd attempt anyway, so who knows.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android L vs iOS 8 comparison preview: Apple vs Google software showdown

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

Why Google bought Songza. Scratch that: what is Songza?

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July