We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC not powering HD

Driftfog

Likes # 0

Hi all, Ive been lurking here for months and finally signed up to ask my own question. I have an ixtreme desktop pc win7, intel core 2 processor, NVIDIA gt320 Vid card, 1TG, 4 gig DDR3 ram. The problem I have been experiencing is when starting up, for a while it took up to 20 minutes before anything was showing on the screen then ran for hours on end no problem, the last couple of days I have to start it 8 or more times as only the fans operate and nothing from the HD or from the flashing light indicating its working. I am suspicious its the PSU but not sure as worried it could be the motherboard, with penny's tight and the fact I like the win7 and this system as it does me for what I need I am hoping for a cheap fix. I am not an expert far from it but I dont mind getting in and learning, oh the system is dust free as I check every few months.

Thanks for any help. Ste

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes sounds like the PSU is on its way out or its not up to the job, needs one with more Watts and better quality

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

try swapping the power connection to the HDD if you have a spare from the PSU.

they are often run from two different lines in the PSU.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Are you getting a 'Beep' when you turn the System on?

Like this post
Driftfog

Likes # 0

Thanks guys, I will try the suggestions tomorrow, and no beeps at all from the system. Ste

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...