We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

EXE files

Zuma2

Likes # 0

I had a window pop up yesteday from the malware system i use, this is malwarebytes, a free system. It said i had some corrupt files that needed removal. I agreed to the removal and since then i cannot open any applications. I was using firefox as a browser and when i try to open this i just get a window that says choose which file you want to use to open this file, but none of them open it. If i try to download and click run the same thing happens. If i try to open office word, or any windows applications i get a box that says application not found and in the control panel if i try to open anything i get a window that says:C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe application not found. I cannot open system restore to try and undo what i did as this opens a window with the same message. I have searched my pc for EXE files and am informed that there are none, presumably this is what i had removed, but if i cannot download anything how can i get them back? Can you help me?

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

Sounds like you have lost your file assication for exe files, Click here for instructions on how to get it back. Once this has been done try a system restore to get everything working again

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Having had a similar problem with a grandson's XP after using Antimalwarebytes and then tried all sorts of recommended snake oils I was brave (reckless)!

I did a "Repair," booting from the original installation disk of Windows XP

Typical of Windows, it may be intuitive to most, but right at the beginning of the repair it is easy to select the wrong one.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Something happened here and my add-on message appears to have gone walkabout.

Boot with XP disk in the drive When offered Set up Windows choose this, and NOT repair windows with repair console. Next screen more choices... ...Choose Repair windows on this computer

Once running the repair is quick, and doesn't change any data on the drive.

Note all this descibes how I would do it with XP. Later versions my differ. Good luck

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Why not just run System Restore

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks