We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help on a read only sd card

trish2753
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a tom tom sat nav and the 1gb sd isnt big enough for the download and to add more poi's. I have a spare 4gb sd card which was used in my smart phone I have tried to delete the contents and it says this is write protected how can I format the sd card, I have looked at help and it said to uncheck the read only check box but there is no check box in properties to uncheck. can anyone help on this please or do I have to buy a new sd card?

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

Have you tried sliding the little switch on the side to its other position?

Like this post  
trish1997

Likes # 0

what switch on the side? I have a tom tom one and the sd card doesnt have any switches on the sides???

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

The switch on the side of you're SD card (next to where it says "lock"). THis is a write-protect switch, if is enabled you won't be able to delete anything from the card

Like this post
WHTDSOB

Likes # 0

Has the 4Gb card got a switch? link text

1: http://www.electronics-lab.com/blog/?p=2620/like this

Like this post
trish1997

Likes # 0

I am using a micro Sd card in an adaptor for the tom tom and there is no switch on the micro card nor the adaptor.

Like this post
WHTDSOB

Likes # 0

Try again. You have to move out of the post to repost!!

trying again

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

OK, i'm going need some info then.

What tomtom are you using? Am I right in saying the you got the card in the adaptor plugged into the pc and you're using the tomtom software to update it? Is it the tomtom software giving you the error? Have you formatted the card since removing it from your phone?

Like this post
trish1997

Likes # 0

I cannot format the card for use in my tom tom one, I tried to format it before use in the tom tom but could not so hoped that the Sd would be big enough to take everything ie maps and poi's but the tom tom is giving me the error and when I took it out of the tom tom to format it I cannot. I have it plugged in the pc at the moment trying various things you guys tell me.

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

Have you tried formatting in windows? To do so, right click the drive in computer and choose format. Note that some tomtoms only recognise FAT32 file system, so make sure this is selected in the file format drop-down

Like this post
trish1997

Likes # 0

Yes I have tried formatting the drive in windows explorer but it says the drive is write protected.

I have tried since unchecking the box on read only.

I have found the switch on the side of the adaptor and slid that to the other position and I can now delete the files but not the folders, they are still protected. There is no switch on the micro Sd card though?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote