We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SP2 and other Service Packs

AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Morning Chaps, this is a question that's been with me since the windows 98 days! We download windows updates, lots of 'em, then a Service Pack arrives saying that 'all previous updates are contained in this service pack'. What I'd like to know is, are those previously d/loaded updates overwritten or are they then ALL on my HDD? Thing is, in time, there will be a large chunk of HDD that's just containing updates if not overwritten, surely?

AngeTheHippy x

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 1

I`m pretty sure that the Service Packs only add missing security updates. For example, I have applied Windows 7 SP1 to machines that are 12 months old and it takes far less time than a brand new computer which can take about 45 minutes to download and install the service pack.

[$NTUninstall Folders][1]

[1]: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-files/ntuninstall/d8dedd6e-3f71-4e32-920b-80811d4fb845 Folders are stored on your Hard Drive however and contain the information to uninstall these updates and can be removed but read the link first!

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Thanks Taff™, Mmm. Interesting that Taff™. Gotta say, I've installed SP2 on Vista this morning, and it took just a few minutes. Any more comments on this please?

Ange x

Like this post
WHTDSOB

Likes # 0

Taff™

is right. Before downloading the SP it will scan for which updates you already have. Then only those you do not have will be added.

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

If disk space is an issue and SP2 is installed with no problems you can run the included clean up tool to remove old SP1 backup files. Copy and paste the link below for an explanation of its use

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/26/service-pack-cleanup-tool-in-vista-sp2-to-clean-up-old-rtm-sp1-backup-files/

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015