We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Viewing Forum on PC ??

geoff47

Likes # 0

I am toying with putting a forum on a website for a group in my town. No website to test it on so far. Is there a way to do this on my PC ? And any recommendations for simple open source software a numpty can use ? I have looked at [bbPress,][1] seems OK to me.

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Not a recommendation as such but this is popular:

phpbb

As always, first need is to ensure you understand security implications and good practice.

To try this on a PC, take a look at:

XAMMP

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

That seems what I am looking for, many thanks.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

Both are working perfectly on my PC , thank you very very much. Will need some more tweaking and learning exactly what I am doing, but so far unbelievably successful thank you again.

Now for the BIG question, can anyone recommend a FREE host so I can test this out online, and so I can 'show it off' to a selected group of interested people.

I am a Virgin media customer and although they have free web space they have a problem at the moment and I cannot access it, that is being worked on, and it is possible it will be as much as 5 days to sort out, and I want to test it now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks