We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Strange problem with FTP clients and Freeserve Webspace

drzoom

Likes # 0

Hi,

I still have a website on my old Freeserve webspace (uploads.webspace.freeserve.net).

I have always accessed it using Terrapin FTP which although a bit long in the tooth now has always been reliable.

I recently got a new laptop running Windows 7 64bit. Terrapin installs fine and works, but won't save my connection details. Therefore everytime I want to upload files I have to type in the username/passsword etc. Terrapin does not claim to work with Windows 7 so I thought it would be a simple job of replacing it with something else...

So far I have tried Coffeecup FTP, Filezilla FTP and SmartFTP, and none of them seem to work (although strangely Coffeecup did work the first day I used it, but not since). They seem to connect but then the client closes the connection. The log from SmartFTP looks like this:

[09:55:07] PASS (hidden) [09:55:07] 230-You are using 0.96MB of space, and you have 14.04MB free. [09:55:07] 230 OK [09:55:07] SYST [09:55:07] 215 UNIX Type: L8 [09:55:07] Detected Server Type: UNIX [09:55:07] RTT: 49.442 ms [09:55:07] FEAT [09:55:07] 500 Unknown command [09:55:07] PWD [09:55:07] 257 "/" [09:55:08] TYPE A [09:55:08] 200 TYPE is now ASCII [09:55:08] PASV [09:56:08] Timeout (60s). [09:56:08] Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/74 [09:56:08] Client closed the connection.

I have tried all the usual things, switching to Passive mode, running as Asministrator, trying compatability settings, disabelling anti-virus and firewall, but nothing makes any difference. The silly thing is through all this Terrapin continues to connect and upload files without any problem.

I'm guessing this is a problem with the server, but why does it like terrapin and not any of the newer FTP programs ?

Any pointers would be very welcome as I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
paulrafferty

Likes # 0

I have the same problem. I don't know what to do. Can't find any advice. Paul Rafferty

Like this post
STREETWORK

Likes # 0

I had this problem and it looks like you may have a livebox. If you have then go into the security settings on the livebox and select 'disable' or 'low'. Then try and upload the site. Remember to reset the origional settings for the livebox to medium...

Like this post
STREETWORK

Likes # 0

Add...

I also found that filezilla sometimes got through...

Like this post
Michael

Likes # 0

My experience is that Orange want to sell and make money from uploads.webspace.net which uesd to be offered for free. Many old hands used this space for nothing more than to offer advice on many subjects. Now the culture is to squeeze as much money as you can from everything that moves. This is what is gross and wrong with todays IP suppliers. I only wish things could go back to 1990's when there was a real code of conduct about behaviour on the internet.

Michael Rooney - 28/02/2012

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia