We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard Disk Partition - Can I Restore?

Legslip

Likes # 0

My friends PC has a 80gb HD of which 52gb is partitioned as C: and about 25gb partitioned as E:. E: used to be his Norton Ghost backup sector but quickly filled up. I have installed a second 80gb HD and installed GFI Backup to do the necessary. Is there any way of allocating some of the E:25gb to C:?

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

What Operating system is he using?

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

XP Home.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Shrink E (or delete it entirely if nothing on it now). If you keep it, Move to right hand side of disk map. Resize/Extend C

Windows Disk Management can do it. But I prefer the 3rd party tools. After each operation click Apply to do it.

eg Partition Wizard, EASEUS Partition Manager Home, Paragon Partition Free.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=partition&platformSelect=Windows&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows&filter=platform%3DWindows

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

In which case you will need to use a third party program to resize the disk. My personal preference is gparted. If you are unfamilar with the software click here for a tutorial

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

I should note that even though i have never encountered problems using gparted (and i have used it many, many times) resizing partitions is a risky business, ensure you have everything backed up

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more