We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Updates on every shutdown?

The Brown Rock

Likes # 0

For more than two weeks now on each and every log-off (shutdown) I'm advised not to "disconnect or power off your computer, installing updates 1 of 1." As it's the same instructions on all occasions I'm wondering if the same 'update' is being installed over and over again. Can anyone offer advice as to what could be happening and how I should proceed please.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What OS? XP, Vista or W7?

Certainly sounds as if one update has got 'stuck'

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Found this fix from Microsoft:

Empty the software distribution folder

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

Note On a Windows Vista-based computer, click Start, type services.msc in the Start Search box, right-click services.msc, and then click Run as administrator.

2. In the Services (Local) pane, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Stop.

3. Minimize the Services (local) window.

4. Select all the contents of the Windows distribution folder, and then delete them.

Note By default, the Windows distribution folder is located in the drive:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder. In this location, drive is a placeholder for the drive where Windows is installed.

5. Make sure that the Windows distribution folder is empty, and then maximize the Services (local) window.

6. In the Services (Local) pane, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Start.

7. Restart the computer, and then run Windows Update again.

Like this post
The Brown Rock

Likes # 0

I got to no. 4 on the list and was unable to find Windows/software/ distrabution folder, just could not locaate it. Running Windows 7.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If W7 is installed on drive C then full path is C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder

If you are nervous of deleting any of contents then instead just rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution folderOLD

When you restart the computer (Step 7) Windows will create a new SoftwareDistribution folder and ignore the OLD one

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

or as 124 says, C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

rename it to SoftwareDistributionOLD

Don't know why I put 'folder' at the end :)

Like this post
The Brown Rock

Likes # 0

I have just performed the "Automatic Fix" without success, although it did say it fixed something - but the "Update" continues. Will I bring up the necessary C: files if I type in the search line? Forgive my stupidity (OAP with sight loss) Thanks for your help so far

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes it should, please make sure that the folder you get is

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

and not C:\Windows\system**\SoftwareDistribution

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just go to Windows Update and run it manually when the Update appears click on it or double click it and a box will appear underneath just tick don't show this update again.

Like this post
The Brown Rock

Likes # 0

Six files waiting to be installed on Windows Update and as I have not identified the offending update I had to abandon this route to fixing my problem. Can you say if the folder for deletion or renaming contain the following files and if the answer is yes, can I safely delete the entire contents of the folder as recommended in 1-7 steps above: Auto Cabs. Data Store. Download. Event Cache, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

yes

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014