We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IE 9 Problems - or not??

Housten
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

I am hoping someone can help me with a couple of IE9 problems, although they may be part of the same problem!

A few days ago I installed IE9 through MS Updates – whether this was the right or wrong way to go about this I am uncertain, but I had been thinking of doing it, so it seemed opportune to do so!

The first day when I logged on – I was on PAYG with Tiscali, and am still with them although it is now TalkTalk, who are not very helpful at all – I found that the Inbox – and ALL the others – had been transferred to the left hand side of the screen. All the adverts, news etc., were still there but moved to the right. When I logged on, on Thursday there had always been an ‘Mail Inbox’ and a ‘Delete’ for your emails, but this had suddenly disappeared! So I logged off and then logged back in, and it was exactly the same! So, in desperation, I tried down the bottom of the emails and there was the ‘Mail Inbox’ and ‘Delete’! When I was installing IE9 I had given no instructions to change anything, so if anyone has any ideas/thoughts/advice as to how I can get ‘Delete’ back to the top I would be very grateful.

The second problem concerns the drop down list of web sites that have been visited. In IE8 it shrank for some reason and included ‘History’ and ‘Favourites’, which I didn’t want and after some fiddling – which I can’t remember what I did – I eventually got these out of the way and had a list of some 25 to 30 websites, making getting to a site I had been to before – at least fairly recently - very easy. With IE9 it is a lot, lot worse!! ‘History’ and ‘Favourites’ are both back but, and what I regard as a bit of a disaster, the number of sites listed has shrunk to 5!! Does anyone know how I can get back my 25 to 30 website list?

Whilst PC Advisor website was down was when I wanted to ask this and the extra time has given me time to remember another niggle, and that is all it is! In IE8 the part of the bar where you entered the address you wanted to go to was on the left and a good part of the middle of the bar. In IE9 it is about half the size and only on the left – is there anyway the bar can be changed back to that of IE8?

I know I am asking a lot, but one final point I think may be worth considering is: Is it worth going back to IE8?? To be fair from what I have seen of IE9 it does appear quicker than IE8 and I don’t want to switch back, BUT if that is the best solution maybe it’s something I should be considering! Any advice/suggestions/help/abuse/anything else will all be gratefully received! Really!!!!.

PS Is it just me or are any of you finding this 'improved' PC Advisor annoyingly confusing? Housten

PPS I tried before lunch to ‘Submit’ this and the page said ‘Please Wait’. I gave up after 3 minutes or so. Will have to hope this time is successful!! Housten

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Underneath like on the right you should see a tick. Click on it as this is the new resolved.

Like this post  
Housten

Likes # 0

Woolwell,

Sorry, I can't see, I think, what you are referring to! There is a large green tick alomgside your last message but, having tried clicking on it several times, it doesn't appear to do anything at all. I am completely lost as to what I should be 'clicking or ticking'!!

Like this post
Andsome

Likes # 0

I have no problems with IE9. The only problems that I have experienced are getting my posts to show on this new layout. If this one does show, can someone please advise FE that i have sent two e mails concerning the problem, but they remain unanswered.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Housten you have changed the tick to green and that is resolved. If you look on the little icon next to the thread in the list of threads you will see that it now has a tick in it = resolved.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Woolwell,

I did not,as far as I am aware, change thr tick to green, but many thanks for information!

I do not know whether the FE should be told but the typing in this reply is going in fits and starts - again!!

Anyway many thanks, again, Woolwell. No doubt I will be bothering you and the others again!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund