We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop Finds Network But Can't Connect

thegreypanther

Likes # 0

I have a home wireless (4G) network using a Belkin router. My laptop has a Belkin USB Wireless Adapter which is correctly installed, and soon finds the network, - signal strength "excellent".
However, I can't establish a connection with the message "acquiring network address" being shown.
I suspect that this is because I have forgotten the correct encryption key for the secure network and have been inputting the wrong key.
Is there a way of finding the correct encryption key?
Or maybe I have the correct key and am doing something else that's stupid.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sounds like wrong key. Is it not on a label on the base of router? If not, you can log into the router set up pages (connected by ethernet cable) and should be able to sort it in the wireless pages.

Like this post
dawood

Likes # 0

It could due to incorrect wireless encryption key, It could due to other incorrect wireless router or wireless adapter configuration too. Take a look on this wireless network troubleshooting tips article click here , see whether could help you.

Hope this helps.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Try changing wireless channel

Like this post
C_3PO

Likes # 0

Could be anything really, I would first off connect as suggested via the Ethernet cable. Log in using your default browser, just double check your "WEP or WPA key" etc, it should be on the box. If your unsure what your is going on in the router and no shortcut has been placed on your desktop for the router, type "CMD" in the Vista/7 search box. Once the command prompt is open type "ipconfig/all" without the quotes, look for your "default gateway" 192.16... type that into your browser. Have you tried connecting another device with the same settings, iPhone etc?

Like this post
thegreypanther

Likes # 0

Many thanks for all the hints and tips. Almost certainly my problem arises because of a lost encryption key. Unfortunately, trying to use the software recommended to recover this key results in my Norton Security Centre clamping down hard and telling me I'm a naughty boy. I'll have a shot at recovering the key when the PC is off-line and I can temporarily shut down Norton.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

No software reqd. Just go into the router pages and under the wireless tab the key will be displayed

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room