We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer doesn't see Homeplug

jimskopi

Likes # 0

Hi
I have a pair of Homeplug 200Mps Powerline adapters. I have Broadband and a Speedtouch ST585 v6 router. The router is connected to the main computer using Linksys wireless.
I have loaded the supplied software connected one device to the Speedtouch but the computer does not detect the Homeeplug.
According to instructions should be simple and straight forward have no idea where to go from here can anybody help.
Thanks

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I have two homeplugs and plugged them in without installing any software. Worked straight away using ethernet cables. What computer are you trying to connect and how (as you say your main PC connects wirelessly to the router).

Like this post
jimskopi

Likes # 0

I have a fairly ancient Dell Optiplex GX520 "Home" computer to which the router is connected. The router connects to this computer using a wireless Linksys Rangeplus Wireless Network USB adapter. All this works fine around the ground floor so any wireless computer has good signal. I need a signal upstairs so homeplug is intended to extend to here. Unfortunately at the moment can't get beyond first base

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Just to confirm set up.
Router - ethernet cable - Homeplug 1.

Initially I try them in the same room and the other end is
Homeplug2 - ethernet cable - computer.

Disable your wireless connection briefly and see if this works.

What are you planning to attach to the Homeplug when it goes upstairs?

Like this post
jimskopi

Likes # 0

Have tried disconnecting wireless connection to router but no effect unfortunately.
Have Router - ethernet - Homeplug have not connected any others as yet as its not the seeing the first one.
The plan is to use a laptop upstairs connected to a flat screen TV via HDMI cable to watch TV via the internet.
We already have a computer doing this downstairs but the wireless signal currently does not reach upstairs, had hoped Homeplug was the easy answer

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hang on a sec, are you trying to connect wirelessly to the homeplug? If so, is the second homeplug a wireless one, as from your description it isn't?

Like this post
jimskopi

Likes # 0

No, the home plug is connected into the router using an ethernet cable, the router is connected to the computer by the Linksys wireless adapter. A second homeplug is available for upstairs which also will connect to a laptop via ethernet

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Ah, OK - that really should work 'out of the box'.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Router > PC > Home Plug > Home Plug > Laptop

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

The computer will not neccessarily see the first homeplug. If you connect the laptop to the other homeplug the laptop and computer should see each other.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Don't know much about these but assuming they work via the ringmain, is the upstairs on the same ringmain as the downstairs, or doesn't this matter?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous