We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless newbie question

abracad

Likes # 0

Apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere, I'm afraid I'm a technical ignoramus. I currently receive internet from newnet via the telephone line (adsl?) which works well with a Netgear router DG834. However, as I sometimes need to use my (wireless-enabled) laptop in different parts of the house I would like to change to a wireless router. On occasion my wife also needs to use the Internet simultaneously with me. I use my computer to access my bank account, so security is important. Can a wireless connection be picked up by someone in a car outside? On looking on Amazon I see there are many wireless routers, but would any of these work with my set-up? Or is there some particular specification I should look for? Finally, can someone recommend a particular model that is easy to set-up? Even I was able to get the Netgear mentioned above working relatively quickly so I was thinking of another by this make, but anything else that's simple also welcome. Many thanks for your help and patience.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Most wireless routers will be suitable. They all have the facility to set up security when installed. This will be sufficient protection for what you want to do. Netgear do a DG834G which is wireless, if you want to stick to the same make. Other people will swear by the one they use (I have a Thompson Speedtouch which has behaved faultlessly for 5 years so far - also very easy to set up), some light reading on security click here

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

click here any one of these will do

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

I wouldn't buy a wireles router, go back to your ISP and ask for one. If they are reluctant then suggest you are going to change ISP and they will soon supply a fresh router. You may need to pay postage.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Good point, and one which has worked several times for people I know.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...