We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB host controller gone missing

Septogenarian

Likes # 0

For some unknown reason all my USB ports have stopped working and when I look in device manager I find the reference to USB host controller missing, and all my USB devices have a yellow exclamation mark.Have tried scf / scannow as seen in replies to similar problems from other people but negative result. Have looked at websites that supposedly supply free replacement drivers but in the end they ask for payment. Have also tried the "Fix-it" service from Microsoft but seems a waste of time.
Would appreciate suggestions in simple terms. Thanks.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Go to your PC manufacture's or motherboard makers
website and download the drivers from there.
If you are unsure of the make of your motherboard use this click here it will tell you the make/model of your motherboard.

Like this post
Septogenarian

Likes # 0

Many thanks for that I will give it a try. Only problem is getting on to the internet with no USB ports , I am using an old spare PC to type this , different components obviously. Anyway I'll try to sort something out and report results. Thanks again.

Like this post
Septogenarian

Likes # 0

O.K. have downloaded and installed motherboard drivers and got the found new hardware and your hardware is ready for use , except that it isn't.
Now the problem seems to be with the Microsoft drivers , so have uninstalled and re-installed twice but still get the yellow exclamation marks despite the green ticks in the driver details box .
Have looked on my original XP installation disc but can't find USB drivers anywhere , went on a website that identified the drivers as faulty , but wanted payment to download replacements . mmm... what next?

Like this post
Septogenarian

Likes # 0

Am now getting error signal "unable to write svchost.exe , could this be the problem ?

Like this post
Septogenarian

Likes # 0

After trawling through Microsoft's tech. support pages I have found this was caused by me using a non certified , non compliant make of pocket flash drive , which shut down all usb ports.It is supposed to correct itself if withdrawn and rebooted but in my case it does not. Well at least now I know , but what use is Windows with no usb ports ? Good job I've still got an LPT port for my printer.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

From Run
type in services.msc
press enter

Check the universal plug & play devices are enabled.

Terry

Like this post
Septogenarian

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Terry , but I've tried most things.
According to Microsoft the make of flash drive I bought ( from a supermarket ) suffers from a problem called " babble " so Windows shuts all the usb ports as a safety measure. It's supposed to recover after reboot , but unfortunately mine didn't. C'est la vie .

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Just a thought.
Uninstall the software completly.

Open the Compabitity wizard (Easiest way -from help type in compatability and click on blue type)

Try loading the CD in a different setup- e.g win 2000 to see if it makes a difference

Terry

Like this post
Septogenarian

Likes # 0

Errrr.. I'm afraid you've lost me a bit there Terry , what software ? The flash drives these days don't come with any , and rely on XP to sort it out when first plugged in. The other makes of flash drives I have all did this and work fine in my laptop . No , I think it's just this particular flash drive with a documented problem ( cheap imports ) so I'll chuck it in the bin and if I need anything that requires usb access I'll use my laptop . Very much appreciate the suggestions . cheers .

Like this post
ronalddonald

Likes # 0

The software would the drivers who set up the computer you or someone else i.e. the company that made the computer. If someone else did they would have to have provided the drivers disk.

However i remember a laptop i had, xp home, there was a note saying that i should right click on the yellow question marks and follow the instructions, the xp home disc had the drivers.

so try inserting the disk and do a right click on the hardware section in my computer it might work

right click on my computer and click on hardware and scroll down usb host right click and see what it says

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia