We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Office Server Set-up

DanTMG

Likes # 0

Hi Guys,

Please help. I wish to set a server at my office that can be accessed from home. We store all business information on a hard drive connected through the router at the office.

How can I set up a server, be able to work from home but still access, alter the information on the hard drive at my office?

We are a small family business and need access for approx 4 people that can work from home at any point.

Any help please?

Oh, I am not a computer wizz and will need step by step and good description advice so I can understand in simple terms

Thanks in advance

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Have a look at the "TeamViewer" software which may do what you require. click here

Like this post
GRCSS

Likes # 0

Does your office have a static or Dynamic IP? Static: Set up the VPN client on your server Direct port 1732 through your router to your server.
Make sure your profile on the server allows remote connections. On your home PC set up a new VPN connection using the office STATIC IP address and use your office credentials to log in then you will have access to all of the locations on the server your profile allows. Dynamic: Register with DynDNS this will create you a domain which will keep track of your IP changes. Set up the VPN client on your server Direct port 1732 through your router to your server.
Make sure your profile on the server allows remote connections. On your home PC set up a new VPN connection using the DynDENS domain names and use your office credentials to log in then you will have access to all of the locations on the server your profile allows.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features