We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Renewing domain

geoff47

Likes # 0

My website is due for renewing hosting and domain registration.
I want to change host, but remain with the same domain name and site content.

What is the way to go ?

Do I renew the domain with the present host, and then transfer it to another host ?
Or can I just transfer the hosting, now and then renew the domain when it is due in May ?

Will changing host have any negative affects ?

Like this post
DippyGirl

Likes # 0

Arent there some restrictions about transfers when you get close to renewal - depending on domain .com .org ?

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

There are no tie ins, but both hosting and re-registration of domain are due at the same time, yearly hosting and two yearly domain registration, so I have been with them for almost two years.

I was thinking to re-register the domain with my present host and then just close the hosting after finding another host and just upload the site to the new host, but am concerned it might have an adverse affect on the sites SEO etc.
Being that there would be a possible period when the site goes off line, would the change of host result in the site being harder to find by potential customers ?

Many thanks so far.......maybe I worry too much.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

A domain name registration must be at least 60 days old before you can transfer it from one hosting provider to another.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Perhaps you do.

Google will find your site wherever it is, and list it, so don't worry about that. The site address will remain unchanged - the domain will simply be retagged to the new host, and within 24 hours (usually much sooner) the DNS databases around the world will update, and it will reappear online.

Just make sure you have backed up any recent changes, and publish the site to the new server as soon as you are able to do so.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

Best to move before registration is due then ?
And then renew the domain with whoever I am with.

Many thanks.

Worry might not be the right word, concerned perhaps, with any negatives that might occur.
It's a bit like changing your bank or phone provider, well worth thinking about before you take the leap ?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

before you take the leap ?"

Absolutely.

Ask your new host for the tag that you'll need to supply to your existing host.

Make sure you have a full backup of the site.

Warn any regular site users/clients/customers that there will be a short outage in the near future.

Make sure your new host expects the name,and that you have paid for your new hosting package. Then publish your site to the new server space.

Ask your existing host for the 'auth code' or 'EPP' and then set the transfer in motion via your control panel. You'll receive an email asking you to follow a transfer process, and that will include a request to suppy the auth code you received.

It will all take around 7 days to complete the process.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad