We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Choice of channel in busy area.

nick_j007

Likes # 0

Using inSSIDER 2.0 software on my XP laptop I can detect 9 wireless channels including my own.

The channels used are:

6 (mine)

My network is regularly being 'knocked off' and I wait for it to reconnect.

I can set my own channels to Auto, or from 1-13.

Looking at the above, what number would you advise please? Presumably avoiding the currently used channels.

Thanks,

Nick

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Having suffered a similar problem with my wife's laptop, I changed our system from the default channel 6 to 11. Since all has been fine.
I suggest any channel as far away from the ones on the list should be OK.

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

Thank you. I'm now on 11 and I'll see how it goes for a while.

Nick

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

I've been running on Ch 12 for a week or so and it seems a similar experience (regular interruptions) also my 2 laptops and mobile phone oh and the PS3 are all not now connecting to the net work since the change of channel...am I missing something, or should they all adapt without fuss?

I'm considering changing routers from the existing 3Com 3CRWE754G72 to a new all dancing Draytec here: click here

Is that a false move I wonder?

Ran a few speed tests last week and I seem to get 3.2 Mbps Download and 0.3/4 Upload. This sounds ok?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

In some countries (but not the UK), the use of Channels 12 and 13 is not legal. Because of this, some Wireless Network Adapters are designed not to connect to these channels and this is almost certainly why you've been unable to connect. Try "11" which many routers use as the default channel.

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

My goodness...why do they give me the chance then?!

Thank you for that important bit of information.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...