We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lan Speed

sbratton

Likes # 0

Issue
I've got an issue with my internal lan, I can't get speeds faster than about 10Mbps for transferring large files across my internal network.

Setup
BTHH v1.0 as router and DHCP server.
Connected to Baystack 450 10/100 Switch set to 100Mbps full duplex on all 24 ports.
Then to several PC's a Sony TV, Mythbuntu box, BTvision box (not via switch -uses 2nd port on BTHH)
Wifi to 2 laptops. (not via switch)
Cat6 cabling throughout the house.
LAN cards are all 10/100 or Gigabit.

Measurement
Physically timed a large file 2GB from 1 windows PC to another. getting 8Mbps transfer rate. Similar for Linux to windows transfer (SMB server).

Questions
1. What rate should I expect ?
2. What are the likely bottlenecks ?
3. What tools can I use on windows /Linux to correctly measure LAN speed?
4. What process should I go through to determine the root cause?

The issue originally arose because I can't get smooth playback on MythTV Frontend to Backend setup. So I started digging and found LAN speed is limited.

Thanks in advance.
Steven

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

If you've manually set the speed and duplex on your ports on the switch then you'll need to manually set the speed and duplex on all the network devices attached to it.

Alternatively turn on Auto-negotiation on the switch.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'