We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

when is a jpg not a jpg ?

greyballs

Likes # 0

hi just been sent a couple of pics that i can only open with paint and the image is huge even after resizing to 12% from original.in properties the file is jpg but windows media player says can not open file ect any ideas as to the file type so i can find something to open or convert. i am using w/vista hp.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

but if you have opened it in Paint and then saved as it a jpg then....

Like this post
greyballs

Likes # 0

yep i know what mean i have 6 of these and am getting nowhere .so i will ask big sis if she
can re format the files and re send them as jpg. although they have this description in properties i do not believe they are ,so we have a enigma.
thanks for your help i will leave the thread open for a while just in case cheers

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I once had such a file, much too large to be a .jpg.

So I made a copy of the file and kept changing its suffix until it opened in one of my Programs.

I think that it was an .mpg

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Very interesting problem this...

click here

A non technical friend was telling me about another friend of theirs that bought a PC and found it "wouldn't work with their camera pictures" and a neighbour said the PC "wasn't suitable" and helped them choose another.

I couldn't understand what they meant... maybe this is a similar issue.

Like this post
greyballs

Likes # 0

hi read the link but i dont think my file at 11mb is as large as what they discribe although the dimensions do look heavy ie 10142 x 15593

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that someone has slipped up at the other end unless it's a file that needs to be printed at A1 Size

Like this post
greyballs

Likes # 0

no 15in, they are old family pics and will ask for them to be sent again as they seem to be just to big.have just had a look through photo gallery and there they are as a thumb nail view but just will not open so i think mystery solved,just to large.
thanks all for the replies

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

can produce large/huge files like that

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Irfanview will resolve the large image problem
However- the best way to really get over this is to ask the sender and for you too, to download when you need to send images.
Download this

click here
I comes with its own 'How to' movie.
It runs in the background and as soon as you click on an image and attachment the program gets to work - taking a copy and reducing it to a predetermined size[you choose] as the send button is clicked.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen