We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

when is a jpg not a jpg ?

greyballs

Likes # 0

hi just been sent a couple of pics that i can only open with paint and the image is huge even after resizing to 12% from original.in properties the file is jpg but windows media player says can not open file ect any ideas as to the file type so i can find something to open or convert. i am using w/vista hp.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Windows Media Player does not open jpeg image files, only audio and video.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Right click the file and select properties. On the general tab what does it say the file type is ?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

click here for a good free image viewer

Like this post
greyballs

Likes # 0

sorry guys i meant photo gallery

and properties
file type is jpg

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Just seen you mention "properties" saying jpg.

When you right click as above, just below file type what program does it say to open with ?
Have you tried right clicking the file and selecting "open with" and choosing photo gallery.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

When you open it in Paint - Save As and choose a new filename and ensure you save it as a jpg.

Now try opening the new file in Picture Gallery

Like this post
greyballs

Likes # 0

hi
yep done that it will only open with paint also the pic comes in at 11.9mb i just do not belive it is jpg format ?

Like this post
greyballs

Likes # 0

hi done that,p/gallery still can not open file without latest updates (which i have)

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Can picture gallery open any jpg?

Like this post
greyballs

Likes # 0

yep just checked but on this file it is saying it dose not support this file format
thats why i dont think it is a jpg file although properties says it is ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer