We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intermitent Slow Broadband

MisterBob14

Likes # 0

Ok I hope somebody here will be able to help.

The majority of the time I have ok speeds. My router configuration page says around 3MB, download speed via speedtest.net is around 2.5MB on average.

When I try to download something from utorrent or update an MMO application the speed drops on my pc only. The torrent or MMO will show speeds of maybe 20kb/s and upon running speedtest it will reflect the same. Even after closing utorrent or the MMO application the speed will still be slow.

After doing cmd ipconfig /release and /renew my speed will speed back up and speedtest will reflect this. Just to slow down again if I attempt to download again.

I use IE8 and Firefox 3.6.15
Tried windows firewall and AVG firewall.

My service provider is Sky BB unlimited.
3.2 i5 CPU 6GB Ram, Win 7 64 Bit, built-in Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

I don't believe it is the hardware causing the problem so that leaves active processes to be the culprit I assume.

If anybody has any suggestion it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Like this post
MisterBob14

Likes # 0

Installed NetLimiter, blocked incoming and outgoing "unrelated" connections and uninstalled Pando Media Booster and seems somewhat better for now (fingers crossed).

Any guesses why either would cause the problems I have been having? Would still appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks

Andy

Like this post
ipjkl4

Likes # 0

You do some defragmentation in your drives,remove some extra font options in your system...Now check the internet speed from the website click here it will be little bit faster now.Checking the speed here is free of cost.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......