We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is there a problem with Windows?

Ankermi

Likes # 0

Have not been able to access mail since 08.00hrs today Wednesday 09/03/2011.

Have 3 computers all have the same problem - XP/Vista/Windows 7. Three different mails i.e.OE/WindowsMail/ Outlook
Obviously all have the same password.

Error message reads:-
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop,orangehome.co.uk', Server: 'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR disconnect because of internal error', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Have "re-set" Properties but makes no difference.

Can access mail via Orange email no problems.

Any ideas please. AVG Internet Security showing no problems.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

pop,orangehome.co.uk

There should be a full stop after pop not a comma.

Could this be the problem

Like this post
Ankermi

Likes # 0

Just checked all the Properties just in case.

No we have full stops on all 3 computers.

Strange thing, when your reply came in it arrived in the mail box then the error message arrived.

Could be the mail was quicker than the error message.

Have also checked advance settings in Properties just in case a tick in "leave a copy on server" but thats blank too.

Must strange. IE is working fine.

Like this post
Fourmanley

Likes # 0

Update Junk Email Filter (KB2508974)
I downloaded this update early this morning and am experiencing exactly the same problem with Outlook Express rejecting passwords. I suspect this update may have caused the problem as everything was working fine before.

Like this post
markus2011

Likes # 0

I am getting exactly the same issue after updates were installed at 12:31 today - it has worked for ages previously without issues. I don't seem to have the same update as mentioned previously - any ideas?

Like this post
Ankermi

Likes # 0

Like Markus, I do not have this update either.

Have just downloaded 4 for XP but nothing like an email filter.

Any other thoughts? Still the same on all 3 computers so am certain its not my computers

As I use AVG Internet security I did wonder if it was the email scanner as I scan both incoming and outgoing mail. Disabled it but it has made no difference..

Have tried a restore point and then did a update to AVG still got the problem

Like this post
markus2011

Likes # 0

I wonder if it's a problem at the POP server. If I send a test email in Windows Mail to myself and then do a send/receive I get the email okay with no prompt for login - very odd. I did a restore to a restore point just before I had issues and still got the same problem.

Can you send test email to yourself and get the same result?

Markus

Like this post
Ankermi

Likes # 0

Confirm test mails work ok.

Logged on this morning and system working normally on the main desktop computer. Have not yet had opportunity to check the two laptops but suspect these will now be ok also.

Maybe it was a cliche somewhere on the server. I am on Orange with AVG Internet Security are you similar Markus

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...