We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

new comp good old one bad

tusk

Likes # 0

okay heres one to solve just had bt infinity set up at home speed test show the following desktop with b/g rated wireless adaptor 13.2 old laptop with mini adaptor 13.2 new laptop with n rated adaptor 39.7 all are wireless the first 2 run xp the third win 7 why the differencesurely all should be able to attain the higher speed

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

What are these speeds supposed to be?

- Megabits or Megabytes?
- Wireless connection speed between adapter and router?
- Internet download speeds?

Like this post
tusk

Likes # 0

which ever is the bigger. we checked the speeds while the bt engineer was here he was happy with the 39.7 but surpised haow slow the other 2 were but had no answer

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

I think a wireless G ( 54mb/s ) connection would struggle to put through a nearly 40mb/s signal , the 54 number is theoretical , actual throughput would be considerably lower , roughly a third to half of the connection speed .

A couple of cheap " N " adapters might do the trick , they can receive and transmit much quicker .

Ashley

Like this post
tusk

Likes # 0

while it would seem to make sense as in up grade to n rated adaptors the engineer was saying that he had upgraded many houses but had never seen such a poor response and to find 2 in the same house was a bit strange . which leads me to think that perhaps as i am the person who has "looked after" these 2 slow machines perhaps it is something i have done as opposed to the fast one being new and not under my control

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

As I said , a 54mb/s connection to a router will never achieve a near 40mb/s throughput , after overheads and network collisions you would get about half to a third , the fact you are getting 13ish from similar machines shows that older hardware although efficient can't keep up with the faster pace of modern kit .

What make of wireless adapters are the two older machines using ?

Ashley

Like this post
tusk

Likes # 0

okay guys thanks all for your words have sorted it by buying an n rated adaptor runs like a dream at 34mb on an old xp

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...