We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virgin Super hub...not so super

paul654

Likes # 0

My sister has just upgraded her Virgin broadband from 20Mb to 30Mb. They sent her a Virgin Super Hub to replace her (perfectly good) Netgear router and modem . I set up the Hub for her and straight away her daughters laptop connected to the hub and she got on line, no problem. However...we are finding it impossible to connect to the hub using her desktop PC (running windows Vista). The PC does not have an ethernet card so she is using a Netgear WG111V3 USB Adapter. This adapter worked perfectly with her previous setup but for some reason will not work with the new Hub. It connects up for about 10 seconds then seem to lose the connection before reconecting for a further 10 seconds...then off,on,off,on etc,it just cant seem to keep hold of the connection ! We are not techies but can not seem to get this fact through to the Virgin tech support people whom we have rung 5 times to no avail. She asked Virgin if she could switch back to her previous setup and they have refused !!I have just left a grown woman in floods of tears because of Virgin's incompetence. Any ideas ? I would love to be able to get this working for her.

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

Netgear knowledge base click here

hope this is of some help

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Can't you just put a network card in the desktop they are very cheap

click here

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

Surprising to find a Vista PC without network port built in to the motherboard , still , I don't see this as a Virgin problem , if the router was at fault then it wouldn't work for anyone , and as her daughters laptop connected right away it proves the router is functioning correctly .

Have you tried removing the previous profile her PC was using to connect ? If you have given the new kit the same SSID ( broadcast name ) it will continue to try using the security pass key stored on the PC .

Go to the network and security centre , on the left hand side you will see " Manage my wireless connections " or something like that , the old profile can be deleted , then try scanning for the new router , enter the correct security key and see if it will now connect .

I would also recommend updating the drivers for the wireless card to the very latest ones you can find on the Netgear website .

Ashley

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If her wireless connection worked well with the previous Netgear router, why not plug that (via its WAN port) into one of the new Hub's LAN ports and continue to connect with it?

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Try changing the wireless channel.

Like this post
paul654

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestions folks. It will be the weekend before I get chance to go and have a dabble, I'll let you all know how I go....thanks

Like this post
paul654

Likes # 0

Ended up plugging the Netgear router back in via one of the Hub's LAN ports as suggested by 'mgmcc'.It's not ideal but at least she's back online. Cant see the point of paying all that money for a 'flutes and whistles' 30Mbps Superhub when ,because of her set-up, she's getting only a fraction of that speed, but what do I know.
Thanks for you're help people.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

As "Ashrich" has said, it would be most surprising if a PC with Vista didn't have an ethernet adapter installed. If you go into the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK) is there not an entry for the "Local Area Connection"?

Like this post
canbutry

Likes # 0

There is a known problem with Virgin's Superhub and 30Mb speed. They say they will have a fix 'shortly'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia