We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Router to switch to wireless?

nabz123

Likes # 0

I have got a Virgin Media connection (Superhub-modem/router combo) connected to a smart managed network switch. This is being wired off to different places.. and I wanted to know whether i would be able to stick a wireless router on the end of this wire.. would it work OK? Would i need to change settings/ buy something instead/additional to of a router?

Thanks

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Yes, you would be able to connect a "Cable/DSL" router via its ethernet WAN port to a cable from the Network Switch. The router, though, would have to operate in a different Subnet from the main router, i.e. the third octet (number) of its IP address would have to be different from that of the main router to avoid IP addressing conflicts.

Computers in the two different Subnets wouldn't be able to communicate for "File & Printer Sharing".

The alternative would be to connect the second router via one of its LAN ports and disable its DHCP server. It would then behave as a Network Switch and Wireless Access Point, with IP addresses being allocated by the main router.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If you have an ADSL Virgin connection why not just replace with a wireless modem/router or if cable Virgin a cable wireless router to connect to virgins modem.

If the superhub modem/router is one of Virgins new cable combinations then that is already wireless.

Like this post
dawood

Likes # 0

You can check out this article to configure wireless router as access point click here , probably could help you.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

You have this ticked as resolved, may I ask how it was resolved?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added