We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless connection issue

carby70

Likes # 0

My dh's laptop had to go to the repair shop, after a week we have it back and he lost everything, he is not happy, but that is beside the point lol. Anyway as he does not have the patience of Job, or indeeed even a flea, it is up to me to get it back up and running. So I installed Works and antivirus etc but I can't get the laptop to connect to the wireless internet.

I know I have to type in a number from the router, but there are 3 numbers at the bottom of it and none seem to work. I also understand that resetting the router might help, but he says he doesnt want me to upset the connection I have with the desktop, if I try that. However the desktop is not wireless, so would that affect it?

The only way I see I can connect his PC is to reset the router, is this what I should do? Or if you could tell me what number I type into the box I would be grateful. By what number I mean on the bottom it has a pin number, a serial number and a mac number, is there any other number I should be inputting or looking for.

I would appreciate any help, before he drives me insane with his whinging

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Log in to your router using the wired PC. You'll need to type in the router's IP address in IE address bar. Search google for this and for the default name and password, if not changed, unless you know the details.
Once logged in select wireless network settings, or similar, make a note of the security mode (ie WPA2-PSK) and copy exactly the the pre-shared key. Also note the SSID (name that the router is broadcasting under). Log out of the router.
On your laptop select 'connect to' and select your router. Follow prompts to enter the details.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback