We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Considering buying a refurbished laptop....help!

gaz1111111111

Likes # 0

Hello,
I was going to buy a refurbished laptop, but I don't know how to tell if it will be any good. I would be buying it as more of a stop-gap and then buy a new, more expensive more serious laptop in a year or so's time, but I would like to be able to watch movies without any trouble, use the internet without any problems etc.
The specs are:
Windows Vista
2GB RAM
60Gig Hard Drive
Nero 7
Intel Dual Core 1.66Ghz
mobile intel 945GM graphics card

Its an ACER ASPIRE 5630 and would be costing me around £150

I know the graphics card isnt good for gaming and the hard drive space is smallish, but apart from that what do the people that would know think? If anyone could sum up what I would/wouldn't be able to do, or alternatively whether the laptop would likely die in its first week, that would be very helpful

Cheers one and all

Gaz

Read more: Considering buying a refurbished laptop....help! - Tech Support Forum click here

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

when it was launched - excellent value for money - and provided the one you're after is in reasonable condition you should be fine.

I seem to remember that it had a 120Gb hard drive when it was new, but I could be wrong about that.

Like this post
babylee22.4

Likes # 0

i am considering buying a refurbished laptop from pc world for my 13 year old, im a complete computer novice and on a tight budget, the sole purpose of the laptop would be facebook, you tube, dvd viewing etc & we would prefer a full size instead of a netbook hence the refurb option, ive read loads of reviews of the refurb services but there all circa '06. I just want to know if im likely to end up with a dud laptop there is a 12 month warranty on them is that good? help please!

Like this post
danishwali

Likes # 0

I needed a laptop for reading emails and using word at uni and thought getting a refurbished laptop would be my cheapest option. Finally bought a refurbished laptop from "ElectroComputerWarehouse" and the product id is "delld620laptop".its working good :0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more