We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Considering buying a refurbished laptop....help!

gaz1111111111

Likes # 0

Hello,
I was going to buy a refurbished laptop, but I don't know how to tell if it will be any good. I would be buying it as more of a stop-gap and then buy a new, more expensive more serious laptop in a year or so's time, but I would like to be able to watch movies without any trouble, use the internet without any problems etc.
The specs are:
Windows Vista
2GB RAM
60Gig Hard Drive
Nero 7
Intel Dual Core 1.66Ghz
mobile intel 945GM graphics card

Its an ACER ASPIRE 5630 and would be costing me around £150

I know the graphics card isnt good for gaming and the hard drive space is smallish, but apart from that what do the people that would know think? If anyone could sum up what I would/wouldn't be able to do, or alternatively whether the laptop would likely die in its first week, that would be very helpful

Cheers one and all

Gaz

Read more: Considering buying a refurbished laptop....help! - Tech Support Forum click here

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Much depends on what you expect, how you use it and how the laptop has been treated.

An abused laptop (dropped/overheated/battery allowed to go completely flat) may well exhibit future problems. Some form of warranty - say 3 or 6 months - would give confidence in its quality. But this is also affected by what you pay.

The CPU isn't particularly fast but if you are only running a movie from DVD with nothing else running it should be watchable. Streaming is another matter as it is subject to many variables.

I would suggest that for general web browsing and occasional DVD movies it should be OK as far as the specification is concerned.

Like this post
gaz1111111111

Likes # 0

Thanks for the quick response man.

Someone told me that because its a dual-core processor that should improve its performance? (That persons knowledge could be questionable...)

Also would you be able to give me a general idea of what sort of other variables affect streaming? I mean specific to the machine, and not my internet etc. I would definitely like to be able to stream movies without problems.

Thanks

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

If streaming you will be running other software (e.g. security/connection) depending on how much and what type will have an effect upon performance. On top of that is your connection speed and the site/loading.

Dual core CPU will help.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The hard drive is very small by today's standards but it is fairly simple process to change it for a bigger one.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Depends on where you are buying it from - ebay?

Like this post
gaz1111111111

Likes # 0

Yeah, its an ebay one.

Like this post
gaz1111111111

Likes # 0

As I said its a Intel dual core 1.66Ghz processor, I have been offered another laptop which is basically the same specs except its an Intel Celeron 2 Ghz processor.
I was under the impression that dual-core was usually better than a Celeron, but obviously the speed is different.
Would anyone like to enlighten me?

Thanks

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There are Celeron dual core too and a 2 Ghz Celeron dual core may be better than a 1.66 intel dual core. It is rather confusing. See this list of benchmarks click here.

With e-bay I would want to check what happens if it doesn't work or soon breaks eg what warranty is there. Who do you return it to? What are their contact details, is there a telephone number, etc? Who refurbished it and to what standard? Just be very wary.

Like this post
gaz1111111111

Likes # 0

Cool, thanks everyone.Seeing as I'm aware its not exactly going to be top of the range and im not paying through the nose for it, I think thats all the info I need.
The guy selling it seems to be a very respected seller so I am going to go for it.

Ta for all the help.

Like this post
Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

2 OK , 4 great.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do