We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband speeds

geek84

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

As some of you may be aware, this morning in Breakfast News, they were discussing about broadband speeds, and the fact that consumers don't usually get the speed which is advertised.

I am with Virgin Media, who are supposed to be one of the faster ones, but my internet connection still seems to be slow.

How can I determine the speed that I am on?

I don't remember the speed that they advertised at the time that I joined Virgin, but if the speed seems to be slow, can I complain to Virgin?

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You could take the PCA Speed check click here. Remember this will show your current speed; to get a meaningful average you should do it at different times throughout the day.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Are you on cable or via phone line? Virgin are very good if you are on cable but the over the phone line service tends to be similar to the others.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

look on your bill to the tier your on,apart from the odd glitch and flakey time i`d recomend Virgin to anyone for their broadband.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you are on ADSL (copper telephone line)
Bear in mind that Connection Speed is a different figure to Download/Upload Speed which is about 25% lower, and can dive even lower in 'busy peak' times even though your Connection Speed stays the same.

Connection Speed = what your router is connected at to the ISP / what your line can support.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

For reliability of speed you cannot beat Virgin.

I have a 10 mbit it line and at peak times this normally gives between 4 & 6 mbits and at night (quiet times) I normally get 8 to 9 mbits.

Do you have multiple computers running off the same router?

If so, try connecting direct from the Virgin modem to your computer and re-test.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED