We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wifi security

questions4u

Likes # 0

I have recently installed a router and as part of the software installation I have set-up password protection. Both the hard wired desktop and the laptop go staright into the internet without asking for a password. I am presuming that they have stored this and I wonder if this makes me more vulnerable to somebody outside the house gaining access to my system. I would be very grateful if somebody could give me some ideas as to how to beef up my wifi security without buying any hardware.
many thanks#

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

You should make sure your router's wireless connection is secured with WPA or, if supported, WPA2. The first time you connect wirelessly, you will be prompted for the encryption key and Windows will then save a 'profile' which is used to connect automatically in future when the network is available.

Others won't be able to connect to your wireless network without first entering the WPA/WPA2 encryption key.

I wonder if the "password protection" that you set up is for accessing the router's configuration pages, which is not the same as securing your wireless network. Wired ethernet connections are not secured because obviously a physical cable has to run between router and computer.

Like this post
questions4u

Likes # 0

Thanks for that I will dig out the installation disk and take a look at the encription protection. Just panicking a bit after watching a cyber crime programme and criminals outside the house using encription breaking software to gain access to your network. So I was wondering if there was an additional level of encription security that could be added.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more