We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Networking XP Machines can't log into machine

jtay78

Likes # 0

Hi guys !

Running Windows XP

Im a bit Dizzy as i can't seem to workout what's going wrong or what im doing wrong lol!!!
8 Pc's on the network, all can view files etc.apart from one Pc Lets just call this "Bob1"

It keeps asking for user name and password, now there's no user name or password on the giving pc, file and sharing is open and all the right ports giving. what i can't understand is that the reaming 7 pc's on the network has the same setup and files permissions, on the same subnet and can ping each other to my knowledge.

So just to prove myself wrong i made a password for the pc that was asking for one on the network and this still did not work.

so to cut the story short 7 pc's can search each other fine but on "Bob1" keeping asking for user name and password.

If you need more info then please give me a shout!

Thanks

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Windows networking really does seem to have a mind of its own sometimes. The Username/Password you're being prompted for is that for the *remote* computer that you are trying to access.

If it doesn't have a Password set, leave that field blank and just enter the Username that you are logged into it with. For example if, in Windows Explorer, it shows "jtay78's Documents" then you are logged in with the Username "jtay78".

Like this post
jtay78

Likes # 0

yea all machines are using Windows XP Pro! all machines are or the same network group ! Firewalls have been taken off and even on the Router just to check it's not that ! all PC's don't have any passwords, File sharing is turned on and been giving full access.

what i don't understand is why i can connect to the other machines but when i try to connect to the other pc it ask's me for a user name and password? so i went around this and gave it a user name and password and still that did not work ? lol

any tips would be great !

Thanks in Adv

James

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Are all the machines running window XP?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'