We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How can I print from my laptop?

mikel1878

Likes # 0

Hi guys
this has probably een asked loads of times but I can't find anything on it. I have a desktop pc with a printer connected to it. I also have a laptop (and so does my daughter) which are wifi connected to he modem. The desktop is hard wired. How do I send something to the printer? I presume I would have to load the printer drivers onto the laptops but will that then work or is there something else I need to do?
Any advice appreciated.
Mike

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Go to the printer on the desktop and right click on it and check that it is setup for sharing, then on the laptop go to printers > add a printer > network printer > browse then choose the printer on the desktop and it will install the drivers from that machine and ask if you want it as default printer, then repeat proccess on other laptop.

Like this post
mikel1878

Likes # 0

Thaks for that. Unfortunately, when I browse for the printer, in the shared printers box it lists "Micosof Windows Network" then tells me that I need to "specify a valid network printer name". My printer is a Samsung SCX-4300 Series. If I put thi in the printer name box, I'm told that I have entered the printer name incorrectly. I suspect that the syntax is wrng. Can you advise further?

Like this post
mikel1878

Likes # 0

Not had much time to look at this. My laptop runs XP but the desktop runs Vista. I tried following the XP instructions but they don't tally. I will search the web for directions. If you know where to find them, can you reply, please.

thanks again

Mike

Like this post
mikel1878

Likes # 0

Another brick wall! I'm giving up and will transfer files using USB to print. Thanks anyway guys.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback