We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Net gear adapter problem

athertpa

Likes # 0

Hi

I have a netgear dongle wg111t and it has a poor signal strength. Pc upstairs router downstairs.

I have a laptop and iPhone and these have full signal upstairs.

Eventually the signal drops so low that the Internet stops working and requires a reboot.

Any advice on how I can solve? Thanks

Like this post
luthier

Likes # 0

I had one of those Netgear dongles and tried using it in exactly the same way as you - Netgear router downstairs and PC upstairs. I also had loads of problems which were not solved even when I contacted Netgear. In the end I replaced it with a (cheaper) Edimax one with a stubby aerial attached. This has worked flawlessly for 2 years and has a good signal.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but that's my experience.

Like this post
athertpa

Likes # 0

Do you think this is a problem with the dongle? Also I have a Thompson router not netgear

Like this post
luthier

Likes # 0

I think in my case the dongle may have been faulty but struggled to get Netgear to admit it. So I just gave up in the end and bought the Edimax. I deliberately went for one with an aerial just to give it a fighting chance. I can't say whether yours is faulty or not. I don't think the fact you have a Thompson router would make any difference.

Have you tried your Netgear dongle in a PC nearer your router? If that worked better, I would say it's just not up to the job of receiving/transmitting through the floor. If it still didn't work, it's probably faulty.

Good luck

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer