We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to connect a tv to a Livebox router wirelessly

njplant

Likes # 0

I have purchased a Sony bravia tv with built in wireless. However I am unable to connect the tv wirelessly but I am able to connect wired.
I have tried changing various settings on the livebox including taking off the firewall and changing the channel nmber (frequency) and still unable to connect. The tv does pick up the SSID of the router but the router just doesn't seem to release an IP address within its range as I keep getting a 169.x.x.x instead of 192.x.x.x.
Does anyone have any deas?

Like this post
njplant

Likes # 0

Unfortunately I've already tried turning it down to low and it made no difference. What I have noticed when it scans and finds the SSID the signal strength bar is intermittent.

Like this post
STREETWORK

Likes # 0

Try this.

Go into the livebox configuration page\security and change the firewall settings to low, then try and connect the TV. If this works then it's definatly the livebox firewall.

Don't forget to change the setting back again...

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

>>> Maybe its just time to change provider

...or get a Modem/Router of your own. Unless the Livebox provides a particular feature that you require, you don't need to stick with it.

My broadband is Virgin Cable, so I've no personal experience of ADSL Modem/Routers but, from what I've read, the Livebox isn't highly regarded as routers go.

Like this post
njplant

Likes # 0

Yes it does. I went into the sony centre today to ask about it and they called the installations technician who said he's yet to be successful connecting the livebox to Sony TV's wirelessley.
There is a custom firewall setting page on the router to allow drop certain packets is there anything that can be done here?
Maybe its just time to change provider.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Does the TV support whatever type of encryption you're using in the Livebox - WEP/WPA/WPA2?

Like this post
njplant

Likes # 0

Yes I put it in pairing mode. When you remote into the livebox you can also extend the pairing time to 40 mins, so I tried that and changed the channel from 1-13 and that also made no difference.
Im really out of ideas.

Like this post
STREETWORK

Likes # 0

I agree with mgmcc, try it press button 2 on the livebox then set up the TV, you need to be quick as the pairing mode is suppposed to work for 10 mins, but may be shorter...

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Have you put the Livebox into "pairing mode" before trying to connect the TV's wireless adapter to it?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote